Natural rattan furniture is very durable and will last for years with a very basic level of care.
Clean gently : Dust your rattan furniture regularly with a soft cloth. Never use paint thinners or abrasive creams to clean wicker or rattan furniture.
Dry wet rattan furniture well : A damp cloth with a mild furniture cleaner may be used, but take care not to soak the furniture. If it does become over saturated, dry outdoors in the sunlight, if possible. The natural plant material will generally return to its original shape, so take care not to bend it while wet.
Treat mildew immediately: If mildew or mold begins to form, use a strong bleach in soapy water to clean the affected areas. The furniture must then be immediately dried out of doors.
Rotate rattan furniture: Natural fibers can fade in strong sunlight. This is a natural process and not necessarily bad. However, if possible, rotate furniture throughout the space on a regular basis so as to evenly distribute the fading. You might also consider installing blinds or awnings to reduce extreme sun exposure.
Humidify: Keep furniture away from areas of extreme heat as this can warp or overly dry out the furniture. Natural plant fibers require a certain level of humidity so as not to dry out and split. If you’re in a particularly dry area, add moisture to the air with a humidifier.
Oil rattan furniture: If splitting has occurred due to excessive dryness, the best thing to do is to make sure no further damage occurs by treating the rattan or cane with tung or boiled linseed oil and raising the humidity level of the space.
Prevent sagging with pillows: Cane seats are very strong and yet flexible enough to provide a comfortable “sit,” but they can sag over time. Most cane seats are made to be used with a cushion that not only makes the seating more comfortable, but also serves to spread the sitter’s weigh more evenly across the surface.
Since rattan furniture is most often used outside, it is frequently exposed to the elements, including wind, humidity, heat, and rain. This means that rattan furniture will get wet from time to time.
Since rattan furniture does receive frequent exposure to water, it is okay for it to get wet as long as you take measures to treat it so that it is
weatherproof. Weatherproofing your rattan furniture is crucial for extending the life of your furniture. Otherwise, you will likely need to replace it every few years.
Just like fabric and other wood furniture can get moldy, rattan can as well. Even if you live in a warm climate that doesn’t receive as much rainfall as other places, your rattan furniture can still become exposed to moisture in the air due to humidity.
When rattan furniture does get water or moisture on it, it tends to hold the water for long periods. If the water stays in the rattan and the furniture is exposed to heat and air, it creates an environment that is suitable for mold to grow but mildew and bacteria. While bacteria may not be noticeable, mold and mildew are making your beautiful furniture look less attractive.
Mold can not only cause your rattan furniture to look less beautiful, but it can also cause it to have an odor. If your rattan furniture has grown mold, it is not too late. Rattan furniture can be cleaned, and the mold can be removed.
Many people find cleaning rattan furniture difficult due to the woven nature and all the nooks that could hold dust, dirt, and mold. But removing mold from rattan is not as difficult as it might seem and can be done with only a few products that you probably already have on hand.
Here is what you’ll need:
- Feather duster
- Rubber gloves
- Soft-bristled cleaning brush
Follow these steps to remove mold from rattan furniture :
1. Use the feather duster to brush the furniture to remove any dirt and dust.
2. For the nooks and crannies where more dirt collects, use a vacuum with a handheld attachment to vacuum out these areas as best as you can.
3. In the bucket, mix the bleach and water in a 50:50 solution.
4. Dip the soft-bristled brush into the bleach and water solution. Be sure to wear rubber gloves, as bleach is harmful to the skin.
5. Use the brush to scrub any areas where mold has started to grow. The bleach will help to kill the mold and remove odors.
6. If you have any areas where the mold is tough to remove, use a toothbrush to scrub those areas more thoroughly.
7. Rinse the bleach off the furniture with a sponge soaked in water, then use a towel to dry it off.
8. If possible, move the furniture indoors or into the garage to dry, or cover it with an outdoor furniture cover until it is completely dry.